Hack #6: Get free frames for your photos ad learn how to convert your images into shapes.
This might be my favorite hack yet! I should use it more in my own blog posts. I love when people enhance their photos by adding borders or creating a shape from their pictures. Or maybe I’m just a huge nerd (likely). You can really do this with any shape, not just the ones included in this tutorial. If you know how to use the drawing tools in Photoshop, the possibilities are endless.
The tutorial came from the Buzzfeed article I’ve been playing with from a few weeks back. The link to the actual tutorial (including a ZIP file with the frames I used, plus some additional shapes) can be found here. Again, you can always design or locate your own and get really creative with this (Christmas Tree shaped images at Christmas? Pumpkins and ghosts at Halloween? The possibilities for geeking out are endless)!
If you know Photoshop and don’t feel like reading through all of the tutorials, this is the basic gist of it:
- Open your picture in Photoshop and save it as a PNG (to allow for transparency).
- Duplicate the background layer, and hide the original background layer (just in case you mess up!)
- Make a new layer, draw or import a shape (I suggest using something with just a stroke – no fill!).
- Use the Magic Wand tool to select the inside border of your shape and hide the shape layer. All you should see is the marching ants around the border of the shape (but not the actual shape you drew), and your picture.
- Click the image layer, select the inverse and hit delete on your keyboard. Voila!